Sunday, June 6, 2010

Crazy Horse Memorial Hike (Volksmarch 2010)

Today was the Volksmarch up to the Crazy Horse Memorial. What a day! It was a tough hike. Apparently it changes every year, based on where they are blasting and we got quite a strenous one, but it was so worth it in the end. Above is a close up picture (from near our starting point) of what they have completed. The face and arm have been completed so far. Below is a statue of what the final product will look like. As an FYI, the pictures at the top are taken from what will be the arm of Crazy Horse (the flat bit).

This is the ACTUAL picture from near the starting point. I think it was mean to make us go by the finish first... knowing we had so far to go....

Coming around the bend at the top. My first glimpse...



The completed face. Pictures can NOT do it justice. There were several times I really didn't think I was going to make it and questioned whether or not this was even worth it. It so was!





Me.. standing at the hole that will be between the arm and his stallion!





YAY! THE FINISH LINE! I DID IT!






This is what will eventually be carved into the Mountain! Mount Rushmore (4 big white faces who were each particularly cruel to the Indians) being carved into the Sacred Black Hills is really an insult to American Indians. This will blow Mt. Rushmore right out of the water! There is some controversy over the memorial as well, but it is getting people educated about the American Indian, and for that, I am glad it is there. The story is that the elders asked the sculptor to create Crazy Horse so that the white man would know that they had great heroes too. The meaning behing the sculpture (and the reason he is pointing) is that Crazy Horse supposedly once said "My lands are where my dead lie buried". Wikipedia has more info (and pics) if you are interested.






Darla told me that one of her traditions is for the person she is hiking with to pick and animal from the great fence (see below) and to get their pic with the animal they chose. I chose this bird and here is my self portrait (while I waited for her to get her camera)



The nature gate. Scuplted by the same sculptor. It is hard to tell in this picture but each little gold speck is a different animal!





My medal! Little did I know that this was the 25th anniversary! On the medal is the monument and the sculptor (who died in the late 80's) and his wife. She and 7 of their 10 kids still run everything. It is important to note, that they get NO federal funding. Everything is though donations, admissions and gift shop sales.





I was lucky enough to meet and purchase a very small but original piece of art work from Del Iron Cloud. A very famous Lakota artist and an amazingly sweet man!




I actually purchased this pin yesterday, but wanted to post it with the rest of my loot. This pin is made from porcupine quills. I has the Lakoto colors and represents the four corners and the four races. This was purcharsed at Red Cloud School on the reservation and a very worthy cause if you are looking to throw money at a non profit!


An energy bar. Buffalo & Cranberry. I haven't tried it yet. But, I did have a Buffalo burger today..... DELISH! (and very healthy!)





All of my loot from the past two days. I have learned and experienced so much! I am so grateful that Darla spent this time with me and I am so grateful for the awesome people I met, who were so gracious to me. Thanks again Ron Kills Warrior, Del Iron Cloud and Walter Eagle Tail.













2 comments:

  1. That nature gate is amazing! Love the Native American loot! You have quite the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another correction- It should be Lakota not Lokoto.

    ReplyDelete