Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On the Road Again....



Well, we are on the road again. My last look at the mountain I climbed! Goodbye to Crazy Horse and Custer, SD! I will miss you! Yes, I took this from a moving vehicle that I was driving. No one tell Oprah, ok?




We started seeing signs for Wall Drug in Wall, SD. For my East Coast friends, it was like South of the Border signs. It start about 200 miles before. We didn't stop due to a late start, but we did learn that during the depression Wall Drug was almost forced to close. But the owner (a very intelligent lady) thought perhaps if she put a sign along the dirt road that they would give away free ice water, it might drum up business. It worked. Check out that marketing!



South Dakota takes pride in their rest stops! The South Dakota sign was etched into the outside and the teepee looking structure was out front.



Another Wall Drug Sign...
I thought this was hilarious. Then I looked inside. Should I be afraid that they were SOLD OUT? Or afraid that they say to TRY THE NEXT STOP!
Tonight we are in Chamberline, SD and staying along side the Missouri River.  It is absolutely beautiful.


.
The downtown area is just as cute as Custer and these views of the river are beautiful!

We lost an hour driving today, so  I will be off to bed soon. Hope you enjoy these pics from today!

4 comments:

  1. I sure am enjoying your blog! I love following you on your adventure! -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you taking pictures of people driving for our coffee table book?? love the missouri river- we grew up rafting on that river! ~h

    ReplyDelete
  3. H- I can't tell you how many times I thought about doing that. I still think it is a hilarious idea!

    ReplyDelete